Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ruth Bible Study

Over the last few weeks, I have had the opportunity to study to book of Ruth with some pretty amazing girls :). We are using Kelly Minter's book as a guide, and it is nothing short of incredible revelation. I have learned so much in these last 3 weeks about this well-known (or so I thought!) Bible character.

Currently, I am at the beach this week with my family for a blissful vacation! I woke up early this morning and as I sat on the balcony looking at the sunrise, I couldn't help but soak in today's study.  I loved it so much, I wanted to share!

Today's verses are Ruth 2:1-3, introducing Boaz.  Kelly Minter goes into the explanation of the historical context here.  I had no idea that God COMMANDED field owners to leave behind sheaves, grain, etc. so that the poor, widowed, or foreigners might come and have enough too. I find it divinely ironic that in verse 1 Naomi finds out about Boaz and that he is a relative of her husband. Then in verse 2, Ruth decides to go out and find a field in which the field owner is being obedient to God and will allow her, a Moabitess, to glean.  And then in verse 3, my Bible says "... and she happened to come to the part of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of he clan of Elimelech.".  I love that the author points out that this can't just be luck. Out of all the fields, what are the odds. This encourages me to be a diligent, hard worker, like Ruth, so that the Lord may show favor to me through such blessings.  It was Ruth's work ethic and Yahweh's invisible hand that set up this "as it turned out" experience.

I love the focus at the end of today's study when it says "It is my hope that we walk away with a heightened sense of what God is doing all around us, even in the seemingly mundane; and that we remember how purposeful He is, how intently He carves our paths, authors each stroke, and weaves our courses into others' lives".

Elizabeth Barrett Browning says:

"Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God; But only he who sees, takes off his shoes, the rest sit around and pluck blackberries, and daub their natural faces unaware."

I don't want to miss the divine for the blackberries! Oh Lord, give me eyes to see!!

As I start this next year in my life (as today is my birthday!), I pray that the Lord teaches me a work ethic that leads me to God's providence. And that I SEE the things the Lord is doing around me.  One of my deepest fears is that I will be so consumed with the trivial (or seemingly important) that I do not see what HE is doing. My God cares about me!- My life, the path He has chosen for me, my relationships and family, my job and my desires. I pray that I see Him working, and not just go on thinking that those "as it turned out" situations are the natural consequence of life.  Everything in the natural is a reflection of the spiritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment