Monday, June 18, 2012

Sewing Class Anticipation!

I am so excited today! I have my first sewing class scheduled for tonight! I know how to sew (just basics) on my mom's Singer, but I have inherited a Bernina and don't even know how to thread the needle! I'm super pumped though about learning about my machine tonight and get to work on some projects!

Despite my excitement, however, I did get a couple of things done today! I painted my front door- something that I have been meaning to do since we moved in :/ . Earlier this year we painted the shutters and trim on the porch, but the door seemed more daunting, so I procrastinated. But enough is enough and I accomplished it this morning! Take a look! I think it looks sharp!




I sanded the door with a rough grade sandpaper, then sanded it again with a finer grade. With a damp cloth, I wiped it all down to remove all the excess debris. I taped it off with 3M blue painters tape, then painted 2 coats! Time consuming, but not hard at all! 

A few weeks ago I found this awesome vanity chair for my bathroom for $15. But it had this not so pretty fabric- fuzzy leopard print.. You can see it peeking through in this picture (I forgot to take a before picture). 
Cute huh... 

Here are the tools I used! 




The seat cushion was very soft though and plush, so I didn't have to add foam or batting! I unscrewed the seat off the base- 

I turned the seat right side down on the wrong side of the fabric and stapled the taut fabric on each side once to make sure secure it's position. When I finished the rest of the stapling, I focused on the corners. 
Here's the unfinished corner. 

I thought of it like I was wrapping a present. (I stapled these corners just like my bench in last week's blog post).  


Step 1: I tucked in the edge, and folded it
forward, securing with a staple.

Step 2: I folded the edge of the left
side and pulled it over, then stapled.


Step 3: I repeated step #2 on the right side. Here's the finished corner.
 If it is too bulky, you can always trip away
some fabric and fold/staple again.

I forgot about the screw holes... so I had to make some
ugly cuts in the fabric so I could screw it into the base. 

This is the finished back with the screws in place. 


I attached the cushion back onto the base and here's how it turned out! I love it! 








No comments:

Post a Comment